Wednesday, May 1, 2013

In Everything Give Thanks...

Recently, I woke up to do my morning ritual of meditation, prayer and scripture reading. But, when I bowed down on my face to pray, only one word came to my mind and out my mouth, out actually two words: THANK YOU.  THANK YOU that's it that all that came out. 

Thank You.  It was one of the shortest prayers I have ever made to God. It had no requests, intercessions or unknown language. Yet this prayer felt so complete.  There was no "LORD help me today", There was no LORD I need this or that, no request to visit the sick, or save the lost. There was no request to God to take His vengeance on my enemies.  This was just a simple prayer of Thank You... 

This THANK YOU was different, it was not a qualified thank you for prayer; It was more of a thank you because prayer. Thank you because of Who You Are (Our Father) and Who's I am (His Son).   It was just a thank you to God for His Being for all the He IS.  

Now I must tell you that I felt strange about my THANK YOU only prayer. It felt like I did not pray enough because I did not use a lot of words but when I said this prayer it was all that I sensed my prayer needed. I sensed deeply that my simple prayer of thanks giving to God was a complete and appropriate expression of appreciation to and for consciousness of our Creator. 

I told a friend about this strange prayer, she told me that it was not so strange a prayer. She asked me how I would feel if one of my sons came to me without a request only a simple word of thanks for me being his Father. How would I feel? Then, my heart smiled. I realized that moment that God's heart smiled too that day.  I became aware that my strange prayer might have been one of my best prayers to our spiritual Father. I challenge you to make God's heart smile too. One day pray this simple prayer to God.  

Let this portion of ancient scripture be you motivation to join with me in the prayer of Thanks Giving to God.

"In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God... concerning you." 1 Thess. 5:18